Google
 

Friday, August 10, 2007

Cholent

CholentFlanken – cubed, about 2 lbs.
Beef bones

One cup barley

1-2 cups dried beans (I combine white and brown, or whatever)

3 large potatoes (I clean and quarter them, but don’t remove the peel)

Two large onions, cut up.

You need to soak the beans overnight on Thursday. The water gets thrown.
Brown the beef at the bottom of the large cholent pot, then add the bones,
the beans, the onions and the potatoes, in that order.
Cover with water. Bring to a boil. Put the pot, covered, into the oven, at
around 250, and leave it there overnight.

I should note that I don't add salt, because
a) kosher meat is already salty, and b) you can always add later.

I start it up around 12:00 noon on Friday, and after it boils, I let it simmer
until just before shabbat,when I put it in the oven.

That’s it.

Some people put kishke on top, but I find it needlessly fattening
Erik Z.

No comments: